Wednesday, July 2, 2008

100 points

A man died and stood before the Pearly Gates. St Peter was there at a desk to greet him. Peter explained: “OK, here’s how it works. You need 100 points to make it into Heaven. You tell me all the good things you’ve done, and I will award a certain number of points for each item, depending on how good it was. When you reach 100 points, you get in.”

“All right”, the man said, “I was married to the same woman for 50 years and was faithful to her, and was a good provider.”

“That’s wonderful,” Peter answered. “That’s worth 3 points!”

“Only 3?” the man thought, a bit concerned. “Well, I attended church all my life and supported its ministry with my tithes and volunteer service.”

“Excellent!” said Peter. “That’s certainly worth 2 points!”

The man at this point was definitely worried. He thought over his life carefully and said, “I was active in social programs in my community and worked in a shelter for homeless veterans.”

“Terrific!” said Peter. “That’s good for 2 more points!”

Well, the man didn’t need to be a mathematician to realize he was in big trouble. “Just 2 more points? At this rate the only way I’m getting into Heaven is by the grace of God!”

Peter smiled, nodded and said, “Bingo--you just got 100 points! Come on in!”

No comments: